- Return New Mexico’s rivers and the Rio Grande watershed to drinkable quality wherever possible and to contact quality everywhere else;
- Ensure that natural flows are maintained; and where there is disruption by human intervention, pursue regulation to protect and reclaim the river ecosystem by approximating natural flows;
- Preserve and restore the native riparian and riverine biodiversity;
- Support the environmentally sound and sustainable traditional ways of life of indigenous cultures; and
- Ensure that environmental justice and social justice go hand-in-hand.
We are often thanked for being a voice – sometimes the only voice – advocating for our rivers.
Because we believe that environmental action must be linked with social justice, we also serve the diverse peoples and communities of New Mexico through policy and legal work, outreach and education, and technical assistance and organizational training aimed at civic engagement.
Year(s) Awarded: 2008, 2013