20 Q’s with Shiraz Ksaiba
1. When and where did you feel most fulfilled in your work?
I have created and opened up a surf hostel in South of Morocco – every day is a challenge and different. I feel fulfilled when we have finished one little project and are in planning stages for the next part. It’s an ongoing, fluid, evolving process. I think my partner has realized this and that my craving for something new to work on its slightly manic. I have a need to find something to do most days. I am selling time and I am realizing that I can never ever get that time back. This in itself a philosophical and personal crisis.
2. What is one thing you wish the general public knew about your work?
How much washing I did. I am also dyslexic so I actually find the calendar/ bookings systems hard to deal with but I think that now I am used to it. And, it’s very stressful at times dealing with the bureaucratic stuff.
3. If funding were no object, what would you do?
I would take a holiday with my partner and we could see some of the world. Being Moroccan, travel is restricted. And then, I would be building an eco riad with a badass swimming pool and just chill and drink wine. But in case that doesn’t happen, we are going to change the hostel by adding two rooms on the terrace and a terrace for the sunset and a new bathroom. Oh, also I would get a licence to sell alcohol.
4. What do you see as the greatest challenge your community is facing?
I feel that the environmental issues are the biggest challenge but also this is for the greater community. The seas are being destroyed and this impacts in both ways from the fisherman who fish here to the surfers who surf.
5. What is the strongest asset of your community?
They will pull together and have a strong sense of family.
6. What’s your favourite way to procrastinate at work
Having a beer on my terrace ……
7. If you weren’t doing this kind of work, what would you be doing?
I would be working in Film and TV in London.
8. Favourite film?
9. Favourite song?
Atm I am listening to Grease, Frankie Vallie & Under Pressure David Bowie.
10. Favourite activist?
God this is hard.
11. Favourite historical figure?
I really, really do not know.
12. What did you eat for dinner last night?
Chicken tagine. It was a really, really good one – Mhand cooked it.
13. If you could give $10,000 to any organization besides your own, which would it be?
I would give it to a friend here who wants to start an artist’s residency program with local and international artists.
14. On what occasion do you lie?
When I am filling out surveys.
15. What do you think is the greatest social issue of our time?
Climate change and the upcoming armageddon of WW3.
16. What book are you reading right now?
17. What is the guilty pleasure television show that you watch?
I have recently watched New Blood and Thirteen but it’s the only TV I have watched in 10 months. I love cop dramas.
18. What’s your favourite online resource for news and for fun?
I tend to read the Guardian and then Buzzfeed for lols.
19. Where would you like to live?
I pretty much like where I live right now, but I wouldn’t mind a stint in Portugal or Bali but I am hoping in the future this lifestyle that I have chosen will give us more freedom. I like the UK but it’s cold. I really don’t know where we will live as I doubt will stay here when my daughters get a bit bigger.
20. What is your personal motto?
I tend not to look back or try not to go backwards.