20 Q’s with Rockaway Waterfront Alliance’s Jeanne DuPont
My hero growing up was always Jane Goodall.
2. What did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be an animal behaviorist when I was growing up.
3. If you could tell Trump one thing, what would it be?
I believe he is totally disconnected from the experiences of real people. He needs to try his best and understand their struggles. I would tell him to spend some time and just listen.
4. What is one thing you wish the general public knew about your work?
I wish they knew that our work is really focused on giving young people and the Rockaway community a voice.
5. If funding were no object, what would you do?
I would create job opportunities and employment for everyone in the Rockaway community.
6. What do you see as the greatest challenge your community is facing?
We are out of sight and out of mind for the rest of New York City.
7. What is the strongest asset of your community?
The amazing, but often overlooked, people of Rockaway.
8. Who do you call when something wonderful happens?
My husband John.
9. If you weren’t doing this kind of work, what would you be doing?
I think I would be doing international relief work, something focused on health or women’s care.
10. Favorite film?
I love Sophie’s Choice and Braveheart, but my all time favorite movie is Rain Man.
11. Activist you most admire?
I really admire President Obama; I’m so fond of him.
12. What did you eat for dinner last night?
I had pizza and a salad; my husband was traveling.
13. If you could give $10,000 to any organization besides your own, which would it be?
I would give my donation to Doctors without Borders.
14. If you could tell the field of philanthropy one thing what would it be?
They should spend time to get to really know their fundees and ensure the money is really going to a good cause.
15. What do you think is the greatest social issue of our time?
Racism is still the greatest social issue of our time.
16. What do you think is the greatest environmental issue of our time?
Climate change, if we are talking broadly.
17. What is the guilty pleasure show that you watch?
Right now I’m addicted to Homeland. It’s really well written, but also trashy.
18. When do you feel the most hopeful?
I was most hopeful when President Obama was elected.
19. Favorite song?
Katy Perry Chained to the Rhythm (I have to listen to my kids’ music).